Over time, things can go wrong with any electrical system. It’s part of the nature of wiring: wires deteriorate and connections can break down. But what if the problem that develops is because of something that happened when the electrical system was installed, something you didn’t have any control over?
There’s nothing so treacherous to the safety of your home as faulty wiring. Mistakes in the initial wiring of your home can lead to serious safety hazards and property damage.
So what can you do about faulty wiring? A licensed Dallas electrician can help you find the problem areas in your wiring and repair them, but we generally don’t get called in until the faulty wiring causes a serious problem. Nobody really has the time or money to deal with these problems, so it’s better to not have to suffer through them in the first place. The best way to do that is to be aware of the electrical warning signs that your wiring might be faulty.
- If your wiring doesn’t work, it’s probably faulty. Since it’s the most obvious sign, it’s also usually caught in new homes before it has a chance to become more serious, but that’s not always the case if you live in a house with previous owners, especially if only part of the wiring is faulty. If that outlet in the living room has never worked, it’s probably the result of poor wiring.
- Your lights flicker. This happens because the connections between the wires are poor or in the process of breaking down. The flickering comes from voltage spikes as the current tries to overcome the poor connection; if you’ve read some of my previous articles, you won’t be surprised when I tell you that this can lead to arc faults and is a potential fire hazard.
- Your wiring is stapled on the outside of the wall. Even if there doesn’t appear to be any damage to the wire, this still qualifies as faulty wiring. Why? Because wiring should NEVER be exposed on the outside of a wall; it’s subject to damage when installed like this. If, for some reason, wiring must be outside of a wall, it MUST be placed inside a metal conduit to protect it.
- You smell something that smells like burning or melting plastic. Wires that are carrying too much current or have poor connections tend to heat up. This melts the plastic shielding all wires are coated in. This plastic emits a toxic gas when it melts, which has a very distinct scent. If you smell this in your home and can’t identify a source, you should call a licensed Dallas electrician IMMEDIATELY. If discovered and dealt with quickly, this can prevent your next call from being to the fire department.
- Your outlets and switches feel hot to the touch. A switch or outlet properly rated to handle the current going through it should not heat up. If they do, it’s a sign that they may be improperly wired, or that the outlet or switch itself is faulty, and should be replaced as soon as possible.
If you suspect faulty wiring, don’t ignore these electrical warning signs! We’re available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, so don’t ever hesitate to give us a call! Visit our website to learn more or connect with our online community on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Google Plus.