electrical fire Archives - Electricman Inc.

All posts in electrical fire

Licensed Dallas Electrician Tips | Making Your Home Safe From Electrical Warning Signs of Faulty Wiring

Editor’s Note: This article has been edited and updated from its original content with permission from National News Today. To view the original article please visit www.nationalnewstoday.com

Over time, things can go wrong with any electrical system. It’s part of the nature of wiring:  wires deteriorate and connections can break down.  But what if the problem that develops is because of something that happened when the electrical system was installed, something you didn’t have any control over?

There’s nothing so treacherous to the safety of your home as faulty wiring. Mistakes in the initial wiring of your home can lead to serious safety hazards and property damage.

So what can you do about faulty wiring?  A licensed Dallas electrician can help you find the problem areas in your wiring and repair them, but we generally don’t get called in until the faulty wiring causes a serious problem.  Nobody really has the time or money to deal with these problems, so it’s better to not have to suffer through them in the first place. The best way to do that is to be aware of the electrical warning signs that your wiring might be faulty.

  1. If your wiring doesn’t work, it’s probably faulty.  Since it’s the most obvious sign, it’s also usually caught in new homes before it has a chance to become more serious, but that’s not always the case if you live in a house with previous owners, especially if only part of the wiring is faulty.  If that outlet in the living room has never worked, it’s probably the result of poor wiring.
  2. Your lights flicker.   This happens because the connections between the wires are poor or in the process of breaking down.  The flickering comes from voltage spikes as the current tries to overcome the poor connection; if you’ve read some of my previous articles, you won’t be surprised when I tell you that this can lead to arc faults and is a potential fire hazard.
  3. Your wiring is stapled on the outside of the wall.  Even if there doesn’t appear to be any damage to the wire, this still qualifies as faulty wiring.  Why?  Because wiring should NEVER be exposed on the outside of a wall; it’s subject to damage when installed like this.  If, for some reason, wiring must be outside of a wall, it MUST be placed inside a metal conduit to protect it.
  4. You smell something that smells like burning or melting plastic.  Wires that are carrying too much current or have poor connections tend to heat up.  This melts the plastic shielding all wires are coated in.  This plastic emits a toxic gas when it melts, which has a very distinct scent.  If you smell this in your home and can’t identify a source, you should call a licensed Dallas electrician IMMEDIATELY.  If discovered and dealt with quickly, this can prevent your next call from being to the fire department.
  5. Your outlets and switches feel hot to the touch.  A switch or outlet properly rated to handle the current going through it should not heat up.  If they do, it’s a sign that they may be improperly wired, or that the outlet or switch itself is faulty, and should be replaced as soon as possible.

If you suspect faulty wiring, don’t ignore these electrical warning signs! We’re available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, so don’t ever hesitate to give us a call! Visit our website to learn more or connect with our online community on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Google Plus.

More

Why You Should Have Your Federal Pacific Electric Panel Replaced ASAP!

Editor’s Note: This article has been edited and updated from its original content with permission from National News Today. To view the original article please visit www.nationalnewstoday.com.

The electrical panel inside of your home or office is where the breakers (or sometimes called switches) are located.  This is the “heart” of your electrical system.  Just like the heart inside of your body, if this major organ does not work properly, your blood circulation and limbs don’t stand a chance.  You could look at your electrical wiring as being your blood vessels and your appliances as being your limbs.  If your electrical panel, “aka” heart, is healthy and strong, your electrical wiring will operate properly, allowing all of your appliances to last longer.  Beware of old electrical panels; these could become a hazardto your home or business.

NIck-Schaeffer-Federal-Pacific-Panel-Hazard

Find out why you should have a Dallas electrician replace your electrical panel now rather than later.

There have been a lot of questions about Federal Pacific electric panels.  The Dallas Morning News ran an article on the potential of fire that these panels possess.  With 27 years of experience as an electrical contractor, I can tell you first hand that these panels are unpredictable and unsafe.  We had a customer who was renting a house outside of Dallas and was having air conditioning problems.  Her air conditioning contractor was attempting to replace a compressor that had completely melted and failed.  When he attempted to change the motor, he discovered that  the power was still on and got a really nasty shock.  The electrical breaker should have tripped when this motor failed.  It didn’t, soshe called Electricman Inc. to find out why.  When we went out to her home and checked it out, we found she had a Federal Pacific Electric Panel and the air conditioning breaker was melted inside of the panel and still working.  We told her she needed to change this panel.  The owner of the house she was renting was on vacation and came back two weeks later.  He told her “Yes, have them change that electrical panel out!”  This was on a Sunday night at about 10:30 pm.  She called and asked us to come out the next day.  We said “Sure, we will be there at 9 am!”  She asked if we could make it 9:30 because she had to take her kids to school.  We were happy to oblige.  When our technician showed up at 9:30, along with the customer from dropping her kids off, they both found the fire department at the house putting out the fire in her garage!  In the time it took her to get the kids to school, this electrical panel failed catastrophically.

Another customer of ours was home when he smelled smoke.  He looked out in the backyard to see where it was coming from and noticed sparks shooting out of his pool equipment and flames climbing up the wall to his house.  He ran into the garage where his Federal Pacific Electric Panel was and turned off the breaker for his melted pool equipment.  When the equipment went bad, this electrical breaker should have shut off way before the sparks and fire.  Lucky for him, he caught it just as it started.  Catastrophe avoided.

Failure of these panels is not an “if,” but “when”.  A quick evaluation by a knowledgeable and licensed electrician can make a big difference.  Don’t gamble on your security, call and get a free evaluation and estimate today.  You could be saving more than just material things.  Whether you have a general repair or an electrical emergency, you can trust ElectricMan to get the job done right. We’re available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, so don’t ever hesitate to give us a call! Visit our website to learn more or connect with our online community on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Google Plus.

 

More