Early Christmas morning in Stamford, Connecticut, the fire department rushed to the aid of Madonna Badger’s family as their home was engulfed in flames. The simple act of discarding ashes from the fireplace turned deadly when those ashes were not fully extinguished, sparking the blaze from outside the home. The heartbreaking news that both of Badger’s parents and her three young daughters perished in the fire turned what would normally be a joyous holiday into a time of mourning for friends, family, and community members in Stamford. Our hope, at ElectricMan Inc. is that this sad story will help drive home the message that smoke detectors are the most important safety feature that you can have in your home.
“Stamford’s team of fire investigators have stated that the now-demolished mansion at 2267 Shippan Ave. did not have an operational smoke detector system, and the second floor of the home was lacking building certificates” – SouthburyPatch.com
Madonna Badger’s older home was being renovated at the time of the fire, with scaffoldings still in place throughout the holiday, and authorities speculate that the main reason the family wasn’t able to escape is because their home was not equipped with an operational smoke detector system. A new smoke detector system was probably in the plans for this home renovation, but the work had not been completed yet, leaving the family who was still occupying the home unprotected. Even if you are in the process of a smoke detector replacement project, it is vitally important to ensure that your family is protected throughout the process if you will be living there during the renovation.
Had the home been equipped with a functioning smoke detector system, the family’s chances for survival would have been greatly increased due to the vital moments that an early warning can provide. However, simply having smoke detectors isn’t enough. Annual battery replacement, testing twice a year, and smoke detector replacement every 5-7 years are essential regiments to ensuring your system is consistently functioning as designed. For more guidelines for smoke detector replacement and maintenance, please read our comprehensive smoke detector replacement and maintenance blog.
No matter how new or old your home is, you can never assume your smoke detector system is working correctly. If you have concerns, or your home hasn’t been updated to a modern, interlinked, whole house smoke detector system, now is the time to take action and ensure your family’s safety. Contact ElectricMan Inc. today, by phone at 972-792-7270, or through our website at www.electricmaninc.com, to discuss your options and receive a free quote to bring your home’s smoke detection system up to date. Nothing helps you sleep soundly at night better than the knowledge that your family is safe, and we would like to help you achieve that today.
Making sure your home’s carbon monoxide monitors and smoke detectors are up to date can be the best life saving tool you can have to protect your family.
ElectricMan Inc. is a high quality Dallas Electrician that only delivers the highest quality to their customers. They are insured and guarantee all of their installations, including Carbon Monoxide Monitors and Smoke Detectors.
About ElectricMan Inc.
ElectricMan Inc. is one of Dallas’ most trusted electricians. Nick Schaeffer, Mr. ElectricMan himself, has quite the resume for a master electrician. He started the company by himself in 2004 and hasn’t looked back since! For more information about Electricman’s list of electrical repair services, please visit www.ElectricManInc.com
If you’ve ever seen “National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation,” you’ll know that Clark Griswold’s perception of Christmas decorating is a bit extreme. Although that movie is comical, in reality electrical safety is no laughing matter, and an electrical fire can ruin your holidays instantly. Here are a few holiday decorating safety tips.
Buy the right equipment. Make sure that any decorations you purchase are UL-listed. UL is an independent organization that tests products to make sure they’re safe for use. If you don’t see the little UL symbol on the decoration, don’t buy it. Also, be sure to purchase at least one surge protector and some power conditioners for your lights.
Don’t overdo it. As tempting as it is to plaster the outside of your house with holiday lights, it’s important to decorate responsibly. Typically, no more than three strands of lights should be connected end-to-end to prevent overheating. Also, be cautious of older houses, as the old wiring could be too weak to handle the amount of lights you want to plug in. Keep in mind that there are over 2 million houses in the DFW area that are more than 20 years old. The last thing you want to do is blow a circuit and have to call an electrician during the holidays.
Keep your tree watered. According to the US Fire Administration, Christmas trees cause 250 fires each year, resulting in 14 deaths, 26 injuries, and over $13.8 million in damage. If your tree isn’t watered enough, an electrical short in your lights or an open flame can turn your tree into a giant fireball. Making sure your tree is properly watered is a great form of fire prevention.
The holidays are meant to be enjoyed with friends and loved ones, and by following these few safety tips, you can help to make sure you’re not a victim of a “Clark Griswold” Christmas. If you want to learn more about your home’s current electrical state, contact the best electrician Plano has to offer.